Housing Rights and Resources
Learn about resources available to help you stay in your home.
July 31, 2020
Financial hardship due to Covid that prevents a tenant from paying rent or back rent is a legal defense to being evicted. The tenant can bring this issue to the judge during an eviction proceeding and ask for eviction proceedings to be halted or delayed.
- Legal Aid Society of Northeastern New York provides free legal services to low-income people: <a 833-628-0087.
- Columbia County Fair Housing office offers free advice for housing discrimination and tenant’s rights: 518-828-0342.
- Columbia County Office of the Aging provides free legal services to seniors: 518-828-4258.
- Department of Social Services (DSS)
DSS provides support for back rent, threat of eviction and/or security deposits. Recipients of Temporary Assistance contact your Temporary Assistance worker by phone or in-person. If you are not receiving Temporary Assistance and have an emergency need, apply for Emergency Assistance at DSS.
518-828-9411 or 25 Railroad Avenue, Hudson NY
- Community Action of Greene County (CAGC)
CAGC provides rental assistance and backrent: 518-943-9205
- Galvan Housing Resources
Galvan Housing Resources provides free foreclosure prevention services and housing counseling: 518-822-0707 x15 or email@example.com
- Neighbor to Neighbor Grants
Apply for emergency assistance help with overdue utilities, medical bills, short-term housing costs, and transportation problems. Contact Columbia Opportunities at 518-828-4611 or Catholic Charities at 518-828-8660.
There are several affordable housing providers in Columbia County that offer below market housing.
- Crosswinds At Hudson
- Highpointe at Chatham Senior Apts
- Hudson Homesteads
- Richardson Hall
- Philmont Terrace
- Valatie Woods
- Chatham Manor
- Schuyler Court Apartments
- Dawnwood Apartments
- John Funk Village
- Paul Raihofer Senior Village
- Palatine Manor
- Greenport Manor
- Hudson Terrace Apartments
- Providence Hall
- Bliss Towers
- Columbia Apartments Family Hudson
- Habitat for Humanity
- Mental Health - Greenport Gardens